Third Way is a national think tank that develops and champions modern, center-left ideas.
Third Way's Communications Team is looking for a smart, creative, and enthusiastic person to work side-by-side with Third Way staff to execute a robust digital media strategy that cultivates and maintains strategic relationships with DC decision makers and the press. Third Way's Communications internship offers hands-on experience at the intersection of politics and digital communications. Examples of our impact include:
- Third Way ideas and staff are frequently cited in major news outlets including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Hill, POLITICO and others;
- Third Way staff is called on to offer commentary & analysis by broadcast media. Our staff is regularly featured on MSNBC, CNN, Fox, the BBC, NPR and almost all major cable political programs;
- Third Way ideas are shared on multiple digital platforms, including social media, our website, email newsletters, and videos;
- Events co-hosted and attended by Senate & House leadership, elite media, and leaders in the advocacy community
Interns are an integral part of our team, and they work on a variety of tasks that are critical to our digital and press communications strategy, including:
- Interns assist with the production and communications plans for the release of major reports and campaigns. They prepare reports and memos, update the website, help with our email marketing, draft social media, and copy-edit.
- Assist staff with creating engaging videos, graphics, newsletters, and reports.
- Social Media: Interns help develop daily content to advance Third Way's social media and networking presence.
- Relationship Building: Interns help prepare lists, track our interactions using various customer relations management databases.
- Reporting: Interns help track and prepare reports on the progress of campaigns and products.
- Candidates must be a college student with an interest in and knowledge of the intersection of public policy, national politics, and design, journalism, or multimedia.
- Research Skills: we're looking for someone who is a whiz on the Internet—checking quotes, chasing down facts, digging up poll results and election returns, able to distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources.
- Creativity: interns partner with TW staff to develop interesting ways to share complex policy ideas in digital formats. That can run the gamut from designing social media graphics to making a custom GIF or developing a video script to explain a new policy idea.
- Administrative skills: duties include preparing performance reports for our teams, logging and analyzing internal metrics, preparing content for the website, and pulling custom lists for a new product release. Attention to detail and organization are a must.
- Ability to prioritize/handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Strong computer skills, with excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Adobe CC and interest in video, design, or multimedia is highly desired.
Interns work part-time, and are paid $15.00/hour.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer – women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.