Digital Media Advisor
As part of Third Way’s Communications Team, the Digital Media Advisor will work closely with our policy advisors, press team, and leadership to manage the organization’s social media presence and support the major initiatives of our four policy programs. We aim to expand Third Way’s reach online and build connections with leaders in key policy communities to impact political conversations and advance our policy ideas.
This dynamic team is nimble and creative. You will be encouraged to bring your passions and energy to developing interesting, persuasive, and timely digital content in a highly-collaborative setting. Have an idea for a new approach? We love people who can identify a new way to achieve our campaign objectives and then design and execute a plan to make it happen. This is a high-impact role ideally suited for someone politically savvy, interested in digital trends, a sense of humor, and excellent judgment.
As the Digital Media Advisor, a typical day might include…
- Putting together a social media plan for a major report about to be released and identifying and drafting salient data points, analyses, and other pieces of evidence that would interest our audience on social media.
- Drafting content to share insights from a new op-ed on our social media channels.
- Collaborating with our policy advisors to host a Facebook Live explaining a climate policy that ties into the news of the day.
- Reviewing and preparing materials for a paid advertising campaign.
- Monitoring important digital conversations related to our policy campaigns and flagging important interactions for our team.
- Preparing a report on the social media analytics surrounding a recent event to share with our policy team to measure the impact on the policy conversation.
- Storyboarding and preparing a video explainer with a senior policy advisor highlighting an important electoral insight about how Democrats will beat Trump.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have a degree in Communications, Marketing or related field.
- Have 3-6 years of experience in digital communications engaging with policymakers and influencers.
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission.
- Are current on best practices in digital engagement and have a sharp eye for opportunities to impact conversations and leverage important moments.
- Are curious and eager for professional development.
- Think on your feet and able to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally.
- Are motivated and driven by your passion to opportunity, freedom, and security.
- Have excellent judgment and a knowledge of the progressive political environment.
- Want to make a difference as Third Way’s newest Digital Media Advisor.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
Creators: People who foster divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Attend your departmental daily meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
- Join the communications team in developing creative digital ideas and products to support our top campaigns.
- Participate in messaging conversations and briefings with your supervisor about Third Way’s priorities, ongoing campaigns, and our work in the political and policy space.
- Prepare regular reports on platform analytics.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Gain an understanding each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders of Third Way. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. This will also give you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
- Participate in at least one internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Take over primary management of Third Way’s social media channels.
- Live tweet an event with Members of Congress and political leaders.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goals.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90 day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
- Spearhead a social media strategy around the release of a major report and poll, partnering with other members of the communications team and our policy and political analysts to prepare content to elevate important findings and data.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.