Director of Finance
The Director of Finance (DOF) is a self-starter who possess strong technical accounting skills, is meticulous with details, approaches priorities with a sense of urgency, and quickly responds to challenges and change. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and accounting leader to partner with program heads and other leaders to strengthen the internal capacity of Third Way’s financial operations.
The DOF is an essential member of the Business Operations team. In close collaboration with Third Way’s President and the Chief Operating Officer, the DOF provides oversight and management of all financial operations. The DOF will demonstrate expertise and hands-on involvement with the day to day accounting needs that include AP, AR, and payroll, as well as the larger strategic initiatives which include budgeting, financial reporting, and long-term investment goals to achieve the financial objectives of Third Way.
As the Director of Finance, a typical day might include…
- Managing the day-to-day accounting operations including A/R, A/P, payroll, credit card processing, reconciliations, cash management, and maintenance of the general ledger
- Preparing, analyzing and presenting financial reports (income statements and balance sheets) in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements to President, COO, and Board Members
- Leading the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with members of the management team; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and produce monthly budget reports
- Managing Third Way’s cash flow and forecasting
- Overseeing annual audit and tax preparation functions, coordinate activities with outside audit/accounting firms and review firms’ performance
- Managing the organization’s investment strategies and implementation
- Remaining up-to-date on best practices in nonprofit finance, business systems, internal control measures, and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations
- Maintaining and updating various business licenses and filings
- Other duties as assigned
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have a CPA with a degree in finance, accounting, or related field
- Have 5+ years experience as a senior accountant or auditor
- Have experience in both a 501c3 and 501c4 nonprofit organization
- Have working knowledge of GAAP, audits, investment practices and other regulatory requirements in the financial field
- Have expert computer skills in MS Office, with advanced proficiency in Excel, QuickBooks, Bill.com and ADP.
- Take pride in and ownership of in your work
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally
- Want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s Director of Finance.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your work Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn about our culture.
- Review accounting manual to learn our current processes how your role oversees and manages all finance and accounting activities.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Cross train with the contracted CFO to learn about current systems, schedules, and deliverables.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Gain an understanding of each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Work with COO and contracted CFO to complete the standard month-close process and produce the monthly executive financial reports.
- Learn about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures.
- Complete the entire payroll process beginning with rolling the pay period forward to contributing into the employees’ 401K plans.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Meet with various business partners and establish yourself as their new point of contact.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Complete your 90 day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.