Education Press Assistant
Third Way is seeking an Education Press Assistant to focus on state and regional media for Third Way’s higher education work as part of our Social Policy & Politics team. The purpose of this role is to elevate and expand the reach of Third Way’s higher education portfolio outside of DC.
The Education Press Assistant will conduct outreach to—and help build Third Way relationships with—reporters, columnists, and editorial boards at leading state and regional publications in order to maximize the impact of key Third Way education research and policy recommendations and shape coverage of federal higher education policy in local and state media.
Knowledge of education policy and the media landscape are important, but determination and enthusiasm to elevate and broaden the reach of Third Way’s higher education work with new audiences is a must. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about ensuring the higher education system delivers for both students and taxpayers, comfortable drafting and executing pitches for our products, and eager to develop new press relationships for our higher education policy experts.
As the Education Press Assistant, a typical day might include…
- Crafting and implementing strategies to maximize the education team’s presence in state and regional outlets;
- Tailoring products to increase interest with local audiences;
- Managing media inquiries, identifying media opportunities, and tracking coverage of Third Way’s education team in the news;
- Creating content and shareables for social media;
- Executing press logistics for the release of higher education products to state and regional press, and working closely with the Education Communications Advisor to execute Third Way’s broader higher education communications strategy;
- Maintaining and updating comprehensive press lists;
- Coordinating day-to-day logistics of our higher education team, including scheduling meetings with key players to facilitate communication and build relationships; and
- Performing other relevant duties as needed.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have a bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of relevant experience working in a communications-related field;
- Are passionate about improving outcomes in our higher education system;
- Are interested in higher education policy, and how press throughout the country may cover it;
- Have an ability to identify relevant opportunities for outreach and develop smart pitches, stories and media materials;
- Display excellent attention to detail and comfort multi-tasking under pressure;
- Enjoy working collaboratively with others, thinking outside the box, and taking initiative;
- Enjoy relationship building, and are able to exercise diplomacy and professionalism when communicating with press, external stakeholders and staff; and
- Are passionate about making a difference and want to make an impact as Third Way’s Education Press Assistant.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
Self-starters : People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
Collaborators : People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
Creators : People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
Results-oriented : People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.