Senior Advocacy Manager for Climate and Energy
Third Way is seeking a Senior Advocacy Manager for its Climate and Energy Program to lead our advocacy campaign strategy to put the United States on the fastest, most affordable, and fairest path to zero emissions by 2050. The position will be primarily responsible for implementing an outreach and advocacy strategy, in coordination with our communications and policy teams, to build NGO, and targeted influencers’ support for our climate agenda. This includes generating creative ideas, conducting original public opinion research, and providing analysis of existing polling data to help educate advocates, and the media about the attitudes and beliefs of moderates, with the goal of broadening support for our policy agenda. This is a high profile, high impact advocacy position that will play a major role in shaping the direction and work of the program. This position will report to the Director for Climate and Energy and work closely with the Senior Vice President of the Program.
The Senior Advocacy Manager for Climate and Energy will have both an educational and public role within the organization. The position will provide opportunities to represent the organization with presidential and Congressional campaigns, advocacy organizations, labor unions, and the business community.
Deep understanding of the national political landscape, experience engaging high-level stakeholders across multiple organizations, and experience managing multiple consultants are critical for the success of this position. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about advancing bold, urgent, and practical solutions to address climate change.
As the Senior Advocacy Manager for Climate and Energy, a typical day might include…
- Overseeing the implementation of the climate advocacy strategy, and working with the Climate and Energy Program Director and Senior Vice President to evaluate and adjust our strategy and tactics to ensure we are on track to meet our goals;
- Engaging with external allies and targeted stakeholders to build support for our policy and communications goals;
- Managing advocacy staff;
- Writing and editing compelling products designed to help us achieve our strategic goals;
- Developing and overseeing public opinion research, in coordination with external consultants and the Third Way Politics team;
- Working closely with our communications team on messaging; and
- Performing other relevant duties as needed.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have a minimum of five years of relevant experience working in advocacy, campaigns, or polling, a bachelor’s degree and preferably a graduate degree;
- Have strong significant experience with campaigns, public opinion research, and the electorate;
- Have a proven record to write compelling and high-impact products;
- Managed high-performing staff to reach ambitious short, medium, and long-term goals as part of a larger team;
- Have strong public presentation skills and comfort speaking regularly on behalf of Third Way to the media and general audiences;
- Have strong political instincts, results-oriented, and are able to keep multiple projects on track;
- Enjoy working in a extremely collaborative organization – with both Third Way senior management, policy, and communications staff;
- Enjoy thinking outside-the-box, challenging existing orthodoxies, and developing new ideas; and
- Enjoy being passionate about achieving major federal policy solutions to address climate change.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
Creators: People who foster divergent thinking and aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.