Senior Policy Advisor, Clean Energy
Third Way’s Clean Energy Program is committed to the fight against climate change. We are seeking a Senior Policy Advisor to join our efforts to create a zero-carbon energy future. This individual will help lead our educational engagement with Congressional policymakers on clean energy, innovation, and climate policies. The Senior Policy Advisor will explain these trends to an informed audience through written and digital content, and collaborate with teammates and external partners on strategies to advance key policy priorities.
As the Senior Policy Advisor, a typical day might include…
- Formulating strategies and managing relationships with members of Congress and congressional staff, as well as other key constituencies—such as leaders in energy innovation and industry, and climate and clean energy advocates—to promote Third Way’s clean energy and climate agenda;
- Producing high-impact policy recommendations on key actions that governments can implement to help advance innovation and critical clean energy technologies in the United States, including carbon capture, advanced nuclear, next-generation renewables, energy storage, and others;
- Developing written materials, and digital content that translate complex energy issues to a general audience in a compelling and easily understandable way; and
- Working with the Clean Energy and other Third Way teams to plan and execute events and stakeholder engagement activities to further our mission.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have an undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field;
- Have a minimum of three to five years of relevant experience working in climate and clean energy technology and policy, including working in or with Congressional offices;
- Have an understanding of energy systems and clean energy technologies, including nuclear, renewables, and carbon capture;
- Have exceptional writing skills, including the ability to explain complex topics to a non-expert audience in a clear and engaging way;
- Have strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage coalitions, plan complex events, and coordinate activities with a large number of collaborators and participants;
- Have experience with federal budget and appropriations process (this is a plus)
- Enjoy working collaboratively with others;
- Would like to develop and expand innovative technologies that will help dramatically reduce carbon emissions and address climate change;
- Think creatively about how you communicate your ideas to our audiences, including the use of digital platforms, such as audio, video, and infographics, as well as traditional written material; and
- Are entrepreneurial in how you come up with new policy ideas and strategies to build support for policy ideas that will have a significant impact.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
Self-starters : People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
Collaborators : People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
Creators : People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
Results-oriented : People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.